‘Etiquette – Sunan of Masjid, Adhaan, Optional & Obligatory Prayers’
GOING TO THE MASJID
1. Go early to catch the first row as there is a Reward which is incomparable.
2. Recite the Du’a for going to the Masjid.
3. Walk to the Masjid.
4. Walk with Sakeenah (Calmly) & Waqaar (lower the Gaze), even if the Iqamah has been pronounced.
5. Dua to enter the Masjid : اللّهُـمَّ افْتَـحْ لي أَبْوابَ رَحْمَتـِك
ALLAHUMMA IFTAH LEE ABWABA RAHMATIK.
‘O Allah, open the gates of Your mercy for me.’
6. Enter with right foot.
7.Offer two rakahs as Tahiyatul Masjid. Prophet forbade anyone to sit without offering two Rakats.
8. If arrived early and reciting Qur’an then do so in a low voice to avoid disturbing others.
9. Leave with the left foot.
10. Dua for leaving the Masjid : بِسمِ الله وَالصّلاةُ وَالسّلامُ عَلى رَسولِ الله، اللّهُـمَّ إِنّـي أَسْأَلُكَ مِـنْ فَضْـلِك
BISMILLAH WASSALAATU WASSALAAMU ‘ALA RASOOLILLAH ALLAHUMMA INNE AS-ALUKA MIN FADLIK‘In the name of Allah, and prayers and peace be upon the Messenger of Allah. O Allah, I ask You from Your favour.
Women should not go out wearing perfume, adornment or make-up. This does not apply only to going out to the mosque, rather whenever she goes out of her house, it is haraam for her to go out wearing make up. Her purpose in going out of the house should be to pray to Allaah or to attend a lesson from which she can learn the rulings of her religion.
Prophet ﷺ said: “Do not prevent the female slaves of Allaah from going to the mosques of Allaah, but let them go out not wearing perfume.” Narrated by Abu Dawood, 565;
1. Repeat what the Muazzin is saying except when He says “Haiyaalas Salaah & Haiyaalal Falah”, here we say “Laa hawlaa walaa Quwataa Illaa Billaah”.
2. Immediately following the declaration of faith called by the mu-aththin, one says:
وَأَنا أَشْـهَدُ أَنْ لا إِلـهَ إِلاّ اللهُ وَحْـدَهُ لا شَـريكَ لَـه ، وَأَنَّ محَمّـداً عَبْـدُهُ وَرَسـولُه ، رَضيـتُ بِاللهِ رَبَّاً ، وَبِمُحَمَّـدٍ رَسـولاً وَبِالإِسْلامِ دينَـاً.
WA-ANA ASH-HADU AN LA ILAAHA ILLAL-LAHU WAHDAAHU LA SHAREEKA LAH, WA-ANNA MUHAMMADAN ‘ABDUHU WARASOOLUH, RADEETU BILLAAHI RABBAN WABIMUHAMMADIN RASOOLAN WABI-ISLAMI DEENA
‘And I too bear witness that none has the right to be worshipped except Allah, alone, without partner, and that Muhammad is His salve and Messenger. I am pleased with Allah as a Lord, and Muhammad as a Messenger and Islam as a religion.’
3. After that send Salaam to Prophet (Recite Durood Ibrahim).
4. After that one should recite: –
اللّهُـمَّ رَبَّ هَذِهِ الدّعْـوَةِ التّـامَّة وَالصّلاةِ القَـائِمَة آتِ محَـمَّداً الوَسيـلةَ وَالْفَضـيلَة وَابْعَـثْه مَقـامـاً مَحـموداً الَّذي وَعَـدْتَه إِنَّـكَ لا تُـخْلِفُ الميـعاد.
ALLAHUMMA RABBA HATHIHID-DA’WATIT-TAMMAH, WASSALATIL-QA-IMAH AATI MUHAMMADAN ALWASEELATA WAL-FADEELAH, WAB’ATH-HU MAQAMAN MAHMOODAN ALLATHEE WA’ADTAH INNAKA LA TUKHLIFUL MEE’AAD.
‘O Allah, Owner of this perfect call and Owner of this prayer to be performed, bestow upon Muhammad al-waseelah and al-fadeelah and send him upon a praised platform which You have promised him. Verily, You never fail in Your promise.’
5. One should also supplicate for himself during the time between the athan and the iqamah as supplication at such time is not rejected.
SUNNAH PRAYERS BEFORE OR AFTER OBLIGATORY PRAYERS
1. Use Sutra
2. Ar-Rawaatih Prayers: –
There is not a Muslim servant who prays to Allah twelve Rak ‘wit, other than the obligatory prayers, every day and in obedience to Him, except that Allah builds for him a house in Paradise; or a house will be built for him in Paradise.
These extra, recommended prayers are:
• Four Rak’ah before Salaah Adh-Dhuhr and two after it.
• Two Rak’ah after Salaah Al-Maghrib,
• Two Rak’aah after Salaah Al-Isha and
• Two Rak’aah before Salaah Al-Fajr.
3. Sunnah of Salaah Al-’Asr:
May Allah have mercy on a person who prays four Rak’aat before Salaah Al-Asr
4. Sunnah before Salaah Al-Maghrib:
Pray before the obligatory prayer of Maghrib’. ‘He said it three times and on the third time he said, ‘For whoever wants’.
‘Between (every) two calls to prayer, is a prayer. ‘Between (every) two calls to prayer, is a prayer. ‘Between (every) two calls to prayer, is a prayer.’ On the third time he added, ‘For whoever wants’.
1. Whoever performs three Rak’aat of Witr, should read the following after Al Faatihah:
In the first Rak’ah, Surah Al ‘Alaa (87)
In the second, Surah Al Kaafiroon (109)
And in third, Surah AI-lkhlaas (112)
2. After Tasleem (end of the prayer) say سُـبْحانَ المَلِكِ القُدّوس (ثلاث مرات)
SUBHANAL-MALIKIL QUDDOOS. (three times).
‘How perfect The King, The Holy One is.’
On the third time he would raise his voice, elongate it and add: ربِّ الملائكةِ والرّوح
‘Lord of the angles and the Rooh (i.e. Jibra-eel).
PERFORMING VOLUNTARY PRAYERS AT HOME
Regarding the excellence of praying at home, the Prophet ﷺ said:”Verily, the best prayer of a person is in his house, except for the obligatory prayer.”
In another Hadeeth, the Prophet ﷺ said: “ The superiority of the prayer of a man in his house over his prayer (in a place) so that the people can see him, is like the superiority of the obligatory over the voluntary.’”
It includes prayers like Sunnah Ar-Rawnatib, Saiaah AdDuhaa and Al-Witr.
For every one of these, the person should observe the prayers in his house in order to increase his reward and fulfill the Sunnah,
Implementing these voluntary prayers in the house is a means to:
– Perfecting tranquillity and sincerity.
– Distance oneself from showing off.
– Have mercy descend on the house.
– Cause the Shaytaan to leave.
– Multiply the reward of the voluntary prayer, just as the reward of the obligatory prayer is multiplied by performing it in the Masjid.
THE FAJR PRAYER
Salaah Al-Fajr has specific Sunan related to it, from among them is to:
1. From the recommended Verses to recite in the Sunnah prayer, are the following:
>In the first Rak’ah, Surah Al Kaafiroon
>In the second Rak’ah, Surah Al Ikhlas
2. Pray Sunnah at home.
3. Take a rest after the Sunnah prayer.
Aisha (R.A.) narrated: “After the Messenger of Allah had prayed the two [sunnah] rak’at of the fajr, he would lie down if I was asleep or would talk to me if I was awake.”
4. It is Sunnah to sit after Fajr prayer till the shurooq (Sun has risen perfectly).
– Undertaking Ghusl (total bath). The Prophet ﷺ in this regard says:
“Ghusl on Friday is necessary(Wajib) upon every adult person” (Reported by Imam Bukhari).
– Putting on the best and cleanest of clothes.
– Perfuming of oneself.Note there is no Sunnah (4 Rakahs) before Jummah.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B00ZLczzYj-KazlHOTJTZXUwd1E?usp=sharing Download the sheets from the link above… There are three PDF files, download them and print them. The Worksheets are to make it interactive, fun and easier to learn, it is not madatory for everyone to do it. Please remember Sis Metinee Adam who volunteered to make these Worksheets for the course. JazakAllah Khair!
TIPS OF TEST
- A Muslim should memorise all these Duas, but for the test you guys will be asked to write any two of the Duas that you have memorized after the note, that is dint know already. In simple words please memorize atleast two Duas that you dont know so in total for the Test we have 5.
- Memorize all the sunahs as just by keeping them in mind all of our simple regular actions can become Ibaadah In Sha Allah.
- Knowing the Sunan will help develop Khushoo and also make our prayers more rewardable In Sha Allah so please remember all of them.