TAWHEED – Meaning, Importance, Merits & Conditions of the Kalimah
It is common knowledge that Tawheed is the basis of the religion of Islam and that it is most precisely expressed in the formula, “La Ilaaha Ill Allah Mohammdur Rasool Allah“. This seemingly simple formula forms the dividing line between Eeman (True belief in Allah) & Kufr (disbelief).
Our Beloved Prophet ﷺspent 10years preaching Just the Kalimah, at that time there was no SALAH, no Fasts, no ZAKAT, nothing. All He wanted people to do was to Believe in “LA ILAHA ILL ALLAH Mohammed ur Rasool Allah” so it is a must for us to PONDER over this and learn about it.
True meaning of La Ilaaha Ill Allah
What a lot of Muslims believe the meaning is-“No God but Allah” or “No Creator but Allah”
These Sentences are CORRECT but NOT the TRUE meaning… The True Meaning is- “NONE HAS THE RIGHT TO BE WORSHIPPED BUT ALLAH”
IMPORTANCE OF THE KALIMAH
Definitely there could be no greater and more important a statement than ‘Laa ilaaha illa Allah‘ (there is no one worthy of worship but Allah). It is the statement of declaration of belief in Allah which is the dividing line between Imaan and kufr. It was the call of all of the previous Messengers and Prophets.
The first question in the grave will be about this ‘Kalima’.
Allah (S.W.T.) Himself attested to the importance of this statement in the Qur’aan: He (S.W.T.) said: “…and know that Laa ilaaha ill Allah (that there is no deity worthy of worship but Allah)…”[Qur’an 47:19, 20:8, 3:18, 59:22-3]
The Place of ‘Kalimah’ in the Life of a Muslim
Some of the time we pronounce it are: –
(c) During Tashahud.
(d) During times of ‘Dhikr’
THE MERITS OF THE ‘KALIMAH’
(LAA ILAAHA ILL ALLAH)
The Messenger of Allah ﷺ said:
“The best remembrance of Allah is to say ‘laa ilaaha ill Allah’ (there is no deity worthy of worship except Allah).”
Some Merits of the ‘Kalimah’: –
– Al-Jannah is its reward.
– Uttering it before death will cause one to be admitted to the Jannah.
– It is a refuge from the Fire of Hell.
– It is a cause for a Muslim to be forgiven.
– It is the best of good deeds.
– It wipes out sins.
– It is the best of deeds and it multiplies into many good deeds.
– It is a protection against Satan.
– It is a safety from the darkness and the punishment of the graves and from the Day of Resurrection.
– The eight doors of Paradise will be accessible to its pronouncer.
The conditions of La ilaha illallah and its meaning:
La ilaha illallah is the key to Paradise, but every key should have teeth by which it opens or it would not be useful.
The conditions of La ilaha illallah are the teeth of this key, and they are: –
OUR DUTIES TOWARDS THE PROPHET OF ALLAH ﷺ
1. To believe in him
2. To obey him
3. To follow him
4. To love him
5. To respect him
6. To judge according to his shariah
7. To send salaam upon him
8. To stick to his sunnah and avoid innovations
TIPS FOR THE TEST: –
1. Do not have to memorize any of the Ayahs or Hadeeths.
2. Memorize the True meaning of the Kalimah.
3. Remember the importance and merits of the Kalimah
4. By heart the Conditions of La Ilaaha Ill Allah (English or Arabic one is enough)
5. Remember the right of the Prophet ﷺ