‘Pillars of Islam with Elaboration on Ramadan’
DEFINITION OF ISLAM:
Submitting to the Will of Allah (The only True God who deserves to be worshipped) & obeying His Laws.
PILLARS OF ISLAM
1ST PILLAR – THE SHAHADAH
ALLAH (S.W.T) SAYS IN THE QURAN:
“I TESTIFY THAT NONE HAS THE RIGHT TO BE WORSHIPED EXCEPT ALLAH, AND THAT MUHAMMAD ﷺ IS THE MESSENGER OF ALLAH.”
LAA ILAAHA ILL ALLAH MOHAMMADUR RASOOL ALLAH
2ND PILLAR – ESTABLISHMENT OF SALAAH
Salah the obligatory prayers that are performed five times a day, and are a direct link between the worshipper and Allah. Muslims are commanded to pray 5 Times a day.
On the day of Judgement, the first deed we will be asked about is the Salah.
There is no excuse to leave Salah, even if we are sick, travelling, in school or doing something what we think is important but the most important thing is to offer Salah.
3rd PILLAR – GIVING ZAKAH
DEFINITION OF ZAKAH:-
Obligatory Sadaqah (Charity) due on wealth given under certain conditions to specific persons at a specific time.
Zakat is a certain fixed portion of the wealth and property that a Muslim is obliged to pay yearly for the benefit of the poor in the Muslim community. The payment of Zakat is obligatory, as it is one of the five pillars of Islam. Zakat is the major economic means for establishing social justice and leading the Muslim society towards prosperity and security.
Every Muslim who owns a fixed, minimum amount of wealth (called Nisab), and who satisfies certain other conditions, must pay Zakat. The Qur’an mentions Zakat in many places. For example, Allah (S.W.T) says:
خُذْ مِنْ أَمْوَالِهِمْ صَدَقَةً تُطَهِّرُهُمْ وَتُزَكِّيهِمْ بِهَا وَصَلِّ عَلَيْهِمْ ۖ إِنَّ صَلَاتَكَ سَكَنٌ لَهُمْ ۗ وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ
“Take Sadaqah (obligatory charity) from their wealth in order to purify them and sanctify them with it, and invoke Allah for them. Verily, your invocations are a source of security for them, and Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower.” (9:103)
BENEFITS OF ZAKAH:-
1. Above all it is an act of Obedience to Allah.
2. Helps the Poor & the Needy.
3. Purifies a person from greed & teaches generosity.
4. Purifies the Heart of the recipient from envy and jealousy against the Rich.
4TH PILLAR – FASTING THE MONTH OF RAMADAN
DEFINITION OF FASTING (Siyam): –
Siyam is way of worshipping Allah by intentionally abstaining from Food, Drink Sexual Intercourse & other things that break ones fast from Dawn to Sundown.
MERITS OF FASTING:-
Abu Hurayrah Reported that the Messenger of Allah ﷺ said,
“Every good deed of the son of Adam is multiplied in reward 10 to 700 times (depending on one’s intention and sincerity)
BENEFITS OF FASTING:-
1. Above all it is an act of obedience to Allah.
2. Trains believers in TAQWA (Being Mindful of Allah & Fearing Him by doing all that He ordered & avoiding all that He has forbade).
3. Teaches Patience & sincerity
ACTS THAT INVALIDATE (BREAK) SIYAM
Important Rule: The Fast is still valid if a person was:
1. Ignorant of the Ruling or of the time.
3. Under compulsion.
ETIQUETTE/SUNNAH ACTS OF FASTING
1. We should make sure that we eat and drink something at suhoor
2. Not delaying iftaar or Hastening to break the Fast.
3. Breaking one’s fast with fresh dates if not available with dried dates if not available with water.
4. Not allowing oneself to be provoked or getting angry
5. Feeding the poor.
6. Dua After iftaar, reciting the words reported in the hadeeth, the Prophet ﷺ, when he broke his fast, would say:
“DHAHABA AL-ZAMA’, WA’BTALLAT A;-‘UROOQ, WA THABAT AL-AJRU INSHA ALLAH”
The thirst is gone, the veins are moistened and the reward is confirmed, if Allah wills.
(Reported by Abu Dawood, 2/765; its isnaad was classed as hasan by al-Daaraqutni, 2/185).
If you are reading this below ‘dua’.. (Allaahumma laka sumtu ….). then the scholars suggests to read the above dua.
The du`aa’ “Allaahumma laka sumtu wa `ala rizqika aftartu (O Allaah, for You have I fasted and by Your provision I have broken my fast)” was narrated by Abu Dawood, 2358.It is a mursal hadeeth so it is da`eef (weak) . Al-Albaani classed it as da`eef in ben dawwad (510)
ACTS FORBIDDEN/DISLIKED DURING THE FAST
1. Exaggerating while rinsing the mouth and cleaning the nose is disliked
2. Not keeping away from sins
3. Eating too much in Sahar or Iftar
Highly Recommended Acts During Ramadhan
1. The Night Prayer or Tarawih Prayers
2. Giving Charity And Donations
3. Increasing One’s Recitation of The Qur’an
4. Everyone must endeavor to the best of his ability to fear Allah
5. Searching for the Night of Decree
6. Performing `Umrah During Ramadhan (Equal to Hajj with Prophet ﷺ)
5th PILLAR – MAKING HAJJ (PILGRIMAGE) TO MAKKAH
THE MEANING BEHIND HAJJ:-Aisha R.A. reported that the Prophet ﷺ said: – “The tawaff of the house (kabah) & (the sa’iy) between Safa and Marwah and the throwing of the jamarat was set up for the remembrance of Allah” (COLLECTED BY AHMAD, ABU-DAWOOD & AT-TRIMIDHI)
MERITS OF HAJJ: –
Abu Hurayrah reported that the Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: – “He Who Makes Hajj For Allah And Avoids Obscene Language And Immoral Behavior Will Return (Without His Sins) Like The Day His Mother Gave Birth To Him” (COLLECTED BY BUKHARI AND MUSLIM)
Abu Hurayrah reported that the Messenger of Allah ﷺ said: – “One Umrah To Another Umrah Erases Sins Commited Between Them And Hajj (Accepted By Allah) Has No Reward Except Al-Jannah (Paradise)” (COLLECTED BY BUKHARI AND MUSLIM)
BENEFITS OF HAJJ: –
1. Above all it is an Act of obedience to Allah
2. Shows the universality of Islam.
3. Reminds us of The Day of Judgement.
TIPS FOR THE TESTS: –