‘Deeds that Lead to Jannah’
MAKING HEREAFTER BETTER
The Prophet, ﷺ, said:
- Help a Brother;“Whosoever relieves from a believer some grief pertaining to this world, Allah will relieve from him some grief pertaining to the Hereafter. Whosoever alleviates the difficulties of a needy person who cannot pay his debt, Allah will alleviate his difficulties in both this world and the Hereafter. Whosoever conceals the faults of a Muslim, Allah will conceal his faults in this world and the Hereafter. Allah will aid a servant (of His) so long as the servant aids his brother. Whosoever follows a path to seek knowledge therein, Allah will make easy for him a path to Paradise.” [Muslim]
- SubhanAllahi wa biHamdihi; Whoever says (سُبْحَانَ اللّهِ وَ بِحَمْدِهِ – SubhanAllahi wa biHamdihi (Glory be to Allah and Praise Him) a hundred times during the day, his sins are wiped away, even if they are like the foam of the sea.
- Charity; “Save yourself from Hell-fire even by giving half a date-fruit in charity.” [Sahih Bukhari – Book 24 – Hadith 498]
- Pray in the Night; “Our Lord comes down to the lowest heaven when one-third of the night remains, and says, ‘Who will call upon Me so that I may answer him? Who will ask Me so that I may give to him? Who will seek My forgiveness so that I may forgive him?’” (Narrated by Muslim, no. 758)
- Fast & Quran will Intercede; “Fasting and the Qur’an will intercede for the slave on the Day of Resurrection. Fasting will say: ‘O My Rabb! I prevented him from food and desires, so accept my intercession for him.’ And the Qur’an will say: ‘I prevented him from sleep during the night, so accept my intercession for him.’ He ﷺ said: ‘And they will (be allowed to) intercede.’” (Ahmad, at-Tabarani, Al-Hakim, Sahih)
MINIMUM DEEDS FOR PARADISE
A man questioned the Messenger of Allaah ﷺ and said : Do you think that if I perform the obligatory Prayers, fast in Ramadaan, treat as lawful that which is Halaal, and treat as forbidden that which is Haraam, and do not increase upon that [in voluntary good deeds], then shall I enter Paradise? He ﷺ replied : Yes.
The Prophet ﷺ said:“What a loss is for him! What a loss is for him! What a loss is for him!” Someone asked: “Who, O Allah’s Messenger?” He replied: “He whose parents reach old age, either one or both of them, and he does not use their presence (by being good to them, etc.) to cause him to enter Paradise.” (Muslim)
DEEDS THAT WILL WEIGH HEAVILY ON THE SCALE ON THE OF JUDGEMENT
The Prophet ﷺ said:
- Good Manners; “The heaviest thing that will be placed in a person’s Balance on the Day of Resurrection is good manner” (Tirmidhi, Abu Dawood)
- Subhaan Allah wa bi hamdih, Subbaan Allahii- ‘Azeem“Two words which are light on the tongue but will weigh heavily in the Balance, and they are beloved to the Most Merciful: Subhaan Allah wa bi hamdih, Subbaan Allahii- ‘Azeem (Glory and praise be to Allah, Glory be to Allah the Almighty).“(Bukhari & Muslim)
- Dhikr; Purity is half of faith, and (saying) ‘Al-hamdu Lillaah (Praise be to Allah)’ fills the scale, and saying ‘Subbaan Allah wa ‘l-hamdu Lillaah (Glory be to Allah and praise be to Allah)’ fills what is between heaven and earth.
BUILD A PALACE IN JANNAH
Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ) said:
- Build a Masjid; “Whoever builds a Masjid seeking by it the Pleasure of Allah, Allah will build for him a similar place in Jannah“. (Bukhari)
- Perform 12 Sunnah Rakahs; “Whoever prays twelve extra [supererogatory] rak’ahs every day, Allaah (swt) will build for him a house in Paradise.” (Muslim)
- Do not Argue; “He who gave up disputing while he is right, a palace of high rank in Paradise will be built for him“. (At Tirmidhi) The Prophet ﷺ also said, “Myself, and the person who sponsors an orphan will be in Jannah like this (and he pointed to his index and middle fingers).” (Bukhari & Muslim).
Duas for a Better Hereafter
“اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ الْجَنَّةَ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ النَّارِ”
ALLAHUMMA ‘INNEE ‘AS’ALUKAL-JANNATA WA’A’OTHU BIKA MINAN-NAAR. O Allah , I ask You for Paradise and seek Your protection from the Fire. (Abu Dawud. See also Al-Albani, Sahih Ibn Majah 2/328)
“اللَّهُمَّ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ بِأَنَّ لَكَ الْحَمْدَ لَا إِلهَ إِلَّا أَنْتَ وَحْدَكَ لَا شَرِيكَ لَكَ، الْمَنَّانُ، يَا بَدِيعَ السَّماوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ يَا ذَا الْجَلَالِ وَالْإِكْرَامِ، يَا حَيُّ يَا قَيُّومُ إِنِّي أَسْأَلُكَ الْجَنَّةَ وَأَعُوذُ بِكَ مِنَ النَّارِ”.
ALLAAHUMMA ‘INNEE ‘AS’ALUKA BI’ANNA LAKAL-HAMDA LAA ‘ILAAHA ‘ILLAA ‘ANTA WAHDAKA LAA SHAREEKA LAKA,AL-MANNAANU, YAA BADEE’AS-SAMAAWAATI WAL’ARDHI YAA THAL-JALAALI WAL-‘IKRAM, YAA HAYYU YAA QAYYOOMU ‘INNEE QAYYOOMU ‘INNEE ‘AS’ALUKAL-JANNATA WA ‘A’OOTHU BIKA MINAN-NAAR. O Allah, I ask You, as You are the Owner of praise , there is none worthy of worship but You alone , You have no partner . You are the Giver of all good. O Creator of the heavens and the earth, Owner of majesty and honor. O Living and Everlasting One , I ask you for Paradise and I seek refuge in You from the fire. Abu Dawud, An-Nasa’i, Ibn Majah, At-Tirmithi. See also Al-Albani, Sahih Ibn Majah 2/329.
- These Duas were recited by ﷺ in prayers after Second Tashahud (Durood Ibrahim).
Another Dua: –
رَبَّنا ءاتِنا فِى الدُّنيا حَسَنَةً وَفِى الءاخِرَةِ حَسَنَةً وَقِنا عَذابَ النّارِ
RABBANA AATINA FIDDUNYA HASANATAN WA FIL AAKHRATI HASANATAN WAQINA AZAAABANNAAR ‘Our Lord ! grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter and save us from the torment of the Fire” AMEEN
- Please read the Duas from Hisnul Muslim (Fortress of Muslim) for proper Pronunciations.
SIMPLE DEEDS LEADING TO JANNAH: –
Prophet ﷺ said: –
- Do not perform Shirk; “Whoever meets Allah without ascribing anything to Him will enter Jannah.” (Bukhari)
- Help a Widow & the Destitute; “The one who helps widows and the destitute is like one who fights in jihaad for the sake of Allaah (swt).” [Saheeh Muslim,]
- Performing Wudpoo when it is difficult; “Shall I not tell you of something by means of which Allaah erases sins and raises you in status?” They said: “Yes, O Messenger of Allaah.” He said: “Doing wudoo’ well even when it is difficult, taking many steps to the mosques and waiting for prayer after prayer. That is (equivalent) to guarding the frontier.” (Narrated by Muslim, 251)
- Recite Quran; “It will be said to the companion of the Qur’aan: ‘Recite and rise in status as you used to recite in the world, and your position will be at the last verse you recite.’” (Abu Dawood, 1646; al-Tirmidhi, 2914)
- Be Easy with others;“Allah, the Almighty let a man enter Jannah because that man was easy when buying, easy when selling to others, easy when he passed a judgement and easy when he sought a judgement.” (Bukhari)
- Save yourself; “Whoever can guarantee (the chastity of) what is between his two jaw-bones and what is between his two legs (i.e. his tongue and his private parts), I guarantee Jannah for him.” (Bukhari)
- Seek Knowledge; “Whoever treads a path in search of knowledge, Allah will make easy for him the path to Jannah.” (Muslim)
- Memorize 99 names of Allah; “Allah has ninety-nine Names, one hundred minus one, and whoever believes in their meanings and acts accordingly, will enter Jannah. (Bukhari)
The Messenger ﷺ said, “When Allah decreed the creation, He pledged Himself by writing in His Book which is laid down with Him: ‘My Mercy prevails over My Wrath.’” [Agreed Upon]