‘Sunan for Day & Night’
SUNAN FOR THE DAY & NIGHT
There are a 100 authentic Sunnahs that a person can do in just one day and night SubhaanAllah its mind boggling that if we are to try and practice these there would be absolutely no place for any innovations. The best of people, the best of creations the best role model has left us with plenty and the best we can do is pattern after him and follow him. The best of deeds would be those done for the sake of Allah and in the way of the Prophet ﷺ. In today’s class we study few of the Sunnahs related to our day to day activities.
- Wipe the effects of sleep from the face with your hands. When the Messenger of Allah (woke up, he would sit up and rub away the effects of sleep from his face with his hand.
- Say the supplication for waking up: الحَمْـدُ لِلّهِ الّذي أَحْـيانا بَعْـدَ ما أَماتَـنا وَإليه النُّـشور ALHAMDU LILLAAHIL-LATHEE AHYANA BA’DA MAA AMAATANA WA-ILAYHIN-NUSHOOR. All praise is for Allah who gave us life after death (sleep) and to Him is the resurrection.
- Use a SIwaak. When the Prophet ﷺ woke up from the night (sleep), he used to clean his mouth with a Siwaak.
- Snuff water. When one of you wakes up from sleep, then snuff water three times. For indeed, Shaytaan spends the night in the upper part of the nose.
- Wash both hands three times. When one of you wakes up from sleep, he must not dip his hand into a utensil until he washes it three times.
- If some one wakes up in the middle of the night. The Prophet ﷺ said : ‘Whoever awakes at night and then says: لا إلهَ إلاّ اللّهُ وَحْـدَهُ لا شَـريكَ له، لهُ المُلـكُ ولهُ الحَمـد، وهوَ على كلّ شيءٍ قدير، سُـبْحانَ اللهِ، والحمْـدُ لله ، ولا إلهَ إلاّ اللهُ واللهُ أكبَر، وَلا حَولَ وَلا قوّة إلاّ باللّهِ العليّ العظيم. LA ILAAHA ILLAL-LAHU WAHDAHU LA SHAREEKA LAH, LAHUL-MULKU WALAHUL-HAMD, WAHUWA ‘ALAA KULLI SHAY-IN QADEER, SUBHAANALLAH, WALHAMDULILAH, WALA ILAAHA ILLAL-LAH WALLAAHU AKBAR, WALA HAWLA WALA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAHIL ‘ALIYYIL ‘ADHEEM.‘None has the right to be worshipped except Allah, alone without associate, to Him belongs sovereignty and praise and He is over all things wholly capable. How perfect Allah is, and all praise is for Allah, and none has the right to be worshipped except Allah, Allah is the greatest and there is no power nor might except with Allah, The Most High, The Supreme.…and then supplicates:رَبِّ اغْفرْ لي. RABBIGH-FIR LEE ‘O my Lord forgive me.’…will be forgiven’ Al-Waleed said, “or he ﷺ said:‘and then asks, he will be answered. If he then performs ablution and prays, his prayer will be accepted’
ENTERING AND LEAVING THE TOILET
- Enter with the left foot and leave with the right.
- Supplicate when entering the toilet (بِسْمِ الله اللّهُـمَّ إِنِّـي أَعـوذُ بِـكَ مِـنَ الْخُـبْثِ وَالْخَبائِث BISMILLAH ALLAHUMMA INNEE A’OODHU BIKA MINAL KHUBTI WALKHABA-ITH (In the name of Allah). O Allah, I take refuge with you from all male and female devils.’
- Do not face the Qiblah while urinating or defecating.
- Do not touch the Private parts with the right hand.
- Do not use the right hand to clean one selves.
- It is disliked to stand and pass urine.
- Do not hasten to be expose and uncover the Awrah.
- Be very careful and clean all the impurity as it is punishable if left off. “Most of the punishment of the grave will be because of urine.”
- Wash the impurity three times or any odd number of times.
- Use Water, tissue, stones and the like to clean.
- After leaving the toilet غُفْـرانَك – GHUFRAANAK‘ – I ask You (Allah) for forgiveness.’
There are several times in which a Muslim may use Sewak at day and night:The Prophet – ﷺ – said: (Were it not for avoiding inflicting difficulties on my nation, I would have ordered them to use Sewak upon the performance of each prayer)Narrated by Al-Bukhari & Muslim.
The total times of using Sewak by the Muslim at the day and night is not less than (20) times. The Muslim uses Sewak:
- Upon performing the five prayers, the regular Sunnah prayers, Al-Doha (Morning) prayer, Al-Wetr Prayer.
- Upon entering the house, because the first thing performed by the Prophet – ﷺ – when he enters his house is using the Sewak, as narrated by Aisha – May Allah be pleased with her – in Sahih Muslim. So, every time you enter your house use Sewka in order to apply the Sunnah.
- Upon reading the Holy Quran, for changing the smell of the mouth.
- Upon waking up.
- Upon making ablution (Wudhou’).
Put shoes on starting with the right foot and take them off starting with the leftThis Sunnah is repeated at day and night so many times; the Muslim wears and takes off his shoes to go to the toilet, go out and come back from the Masjid, work, home etc, therefore, when you wear or take off the shoes according to the Sunnah with the intention of following the example of the Prophet – ﷺ – you will gain a lot of good deeds.
DRESSING AND UNDRESSING
Wearing and taking off clothes happen several times at day and night for the purpose of bathing, sleeping etc.
- Say Bismi Allāh i.e. In the name of Allah, when you wear or take off your clothes.
- The Prophet – ﷺ – said when he wears his clothes, shirt, dress or turban:
الحمدُ للهِ الّذي كَساني هذا (الثّوب) وَرَزَقَنيه مِنْ غَـيـْرِ حَولٍ مِنّي وَلا قـوّة
ALHAMDU LILLAAHIL-LATHEE KASANEE HATHA (ATHTHAWB) WARAZAQNEEHI MIN GHAYRI HAWLIN MINNE WALA QUWWAH. ‘All Praise is for Allah who has clothed me with this garment and provided it for me, with no power nor might from myself.’
- Start by the right side upon wearing clothes.
- Upon taking off the clothes, start with the left side then the right.
ENTERING AND LEAVING THE HOUSE
- Mentioning regards to Allah: the Prophet (ﷺ) said: «when a man mention Allah while entering his house and when he eat, the devil say to his mates (there is no food or shelter for this night for you) « (Muslim)
- Entrance Du’aa: “بِسْمِ اللهِ وَلَجْنَا، وَ بِسْمِ اللهِ خَرَجْنَا، وَعَلَى رَبِّنَا تَوَكَّلْنَا”. BISMILLAAHI WALAJNAA WA BISMILLAAHI KHRAJNAA WA ‘ALAA RABBANA TAWAKKALNAA (O Allah I ask you the best out of entrance and the bestout of exit, I enter in the name of Allah and exit in the name of Allah, I put my trust in Allah) This is the way a man depends on Allah while entering or exiting, which keeps him always connected to Allah.
- Using Sewak Muslim narrated that the Prophet (ﷺ) used Sewak while taking his first steps into home.
- Say As Salam Alaikum. Supposing that a Muslim who goes for prayers in the Mosque practice these Sunnas; that would make 20 Sunnas a day.
A Muslim should say this du’aa : بِسْمِ اللهِ ، تَوَكَّلْـتُ عَلى اللهِ وَلا حَوْلَ وَلا قُـوَّةَ إِلاّ بِالله BISMILLAAHI TAWAKKALTU ‘AALAL-LAH, WALA HAWLA WALA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH. ‘In the name of Allah, I place my trust in Allah, and there is no might nor power except with Allah.’
A Muslim goes out and returns home many times a day; for prayers, work or for whatever and every time he applies these sunnas, he gets great reward from Allah as he submits to His Prophet’s ﷺ teachings.
The outcome of the application of these sunnas:
- A Muslim gets protected from whatever evil he gets in touch with.
- A Muslim gets secured from whatever evil that might hurt him.
- A Muslim gets guided and guarded in everything either divine or secular.
Observe the following Sunan for eating:
- Wash the hands
- Say BISMILLAH.
- Eat with the right hand.
- Eat from what is in front of you ie. near to you.
- If some food drops, clean it and then eat it.
- Eat with three fingers.
- Not reclining whilst eating.
- The etiquette of eating also includes: eating with a group; not speaking about haraam things whilst eating; eating with one’s wives and children; not keeping a particular food to oneself unless there is a reason for that, such as it being for medicinal purposes – rather one should offer the best food to others first, such as pieces of meat and soft or good bread.
The etiquette of sitting when eating:
- a) Kneel on one’s shins and front of the feet, or
- b) Keep the right leg upright and sit on the left.
Sunan after eating:
- Lick the bowl and the fingers:The Prophet ﷺ ordered the licking of the fingers and bowl, and he said: Verily, You do not know in which of it ie. which morsel of food) is the blessing.
- Say the Dua: الْحَمْـدُ للهِ الَّذي أَطْعَمَنـي هـذا وَرَزَقَنـيهِ مِنْ غَـيْرِ حَوْلٍ مِنِّي وَلا قُوَّة . ALHAMDULILLAHIL-LATHEE AT’AAMANEE HATHA WARAZQANEEHI MIN GHAYRI HAWLIN MINNEE WALA QUWWAH.‘ All praise is for Allah who fed me this and provided it for me without any might nor power from myself.’From the benefits of this Dua‘a, is that: The person’s past sins will be forgiven
- Washing the hands after eating. The Sunnah may be done by washing with water only. Ibn Raslaan said: But it is better to wash the hands with potash or soap or something similar.
- Rinsing the mouth after eating.
General Etiquettes: –
- Not criticizing the food.
- Moderation in eating.
- Avoiding eating & drinking from Gold or Silver vessels.
- Say Bismillah.
- Drink with the right hand;
- When drinking, breathe outside of the vessel. And do not drink all at once, but rather, take three breaths.
- Sit while drinking:
- Say Alhamdulilah after drinking.
- Do not put your mouth directly to the bottle if one is not going to finish the whole bottle.
ADHKAAR OF THE MORNING AND EVENING
There are a number of Dhikr that are to be recited in the Morning and Evening which will be too much to memorize for the Tests but it is something every Muslim should try to practice.(as-sabah) translated morning: after Fajr prayer until the sun rises, (al-masa’) translated evening: after ‘Asr prayer until the sunsets, however some scholars say: after the sunsets and onwards. The Adhkar can be taken from a book every Muslim should have “Hisnul Muslim (Fortress of a Muslim)” available on PDF on various websites.
For those who cannot memorise at least make it a habit to listen to these Adhkar on the prescribed times and try to read it with them InshaAllah the Reward is with Allah.You can download apps on your mobile names “Hisnul Muslim” or “Fortress of Muslim”
From the Sunan of going to sleep, is:
1. Say the supplication for going to sleep بِاسْـمِكَ اللّهُـمَّ أَمـوتُ وَأَحْـيا BISMIKALLAAUMMAA AMOOTU WA-AHYA. ‘In Your name O Allah, I live and die.’ or “ALLAHUMMA BISMIKA AMUTU WA AHYA Both of these are found in different authentic narrations, so a Muslim is expected to read one Dua for some days and the other for the next few days so that the Sunnah is not lost InshaAllah.
2. Recite the Mu‘awwidhaat (Surahs Ikhlaas, Falaq & Naas) and wipe the body: ‘ When retiring to his bed every night, the Prophet ﷺ would hold his palms together, spit (A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) in them, recite the last three chapters (Al-Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, An-Nas) of the Quran and then wipe over his entire body as much as possible with his hands, beginning with his head and face and then all parts of the body, he would do this three times.’
3. Recite the Last two Ayahs of Baqarah
4. Recite the Ayat Al Kursi
There are many other supplications and Adhkaar that can be said at the time of going to sleep like reciting Surah Mulk etc, which again can be taken from the book “Hisnul Muslim (Fortress of the Muslim)”
Etiquettes of going to sleep:
- Be in a state of purity (Wudoo).
- Sleep on our right side.
- Place the right hand under the right cheek.
- Dust the bed
- Do not sleep on the tummy.
UPON SEEING A GOOD OR A BAD DREAM
‘The righteous dream is from Allah and the bad dream is from the devil, so if anyone sees something which pleases him then he should only relate it to one whom he loves…’
Summary of what to do upon having a bad dream:
- Spit on your left three times Spit: A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle
- Seek refuge in Allah from shaytan and the evil of what you saw. (Aoozbillaahi Minash shaytaanir rajeem)
- Do not relate it to anyone
- Turn and sleep on the opposite side to which you were sleeping on previously.
- Get up and pray if you so desire.
COMBINING MULTIPILE ACTS OF WORSHIP
The way to utilize a single opportunity to perform multiple acts of worship is only known to those who know how to manage their time.
Here are some examples:
- When you go to the Masjid, either walking or by car, this act of going is worship, in and of itself and you will be rewarded for this. But it is also possible to utilize the same time in remembrance of Allah (Dhikr) or recitation of the Qur’an. Hence, a single opportunity has been utilized to perform multiple acts of worship.
- For a lady to remain at home and perform household chores is itself an act of worship, if she intends to get close to Allah by this. It is also possible for her to utilize this time with other acts of worship, like Dhikr or listening to an Islamic tape.
On the authority of Ibn ‘Umar (r.a.) who said:While in a sitting with the Messenger of Allah , we counted that he said,O Allah, forgive me and I repent to You. Verily, You are the most forgiving, the most Merciful… one hundred times.Ponder on how the Prophet ﷺ took a single opportunity to perform two acts of worship:
> The remembrance of Allah and seeking of His forgiveness and
> Sitting with the companions and teaching them the dictates of their religion.
InshaAllah in the tomorrow’s class we will study about deeds whose rewards are paradise.
P.S.- We have not put in the references and relating Hadeeths except for a few (where the Hadeeths add description to the action) to avoid making the note look too long. The note has been taken from the book “1000 Sunan Every Day & Night” published by Darussalam.