We learnt the Rights of Allah and His Speech (The Qur’an). We studied the Kalimah and its conditions and today we as Muslims will In Sha Allah learn about the Rights of Prophet ﷺ without mention whom one cannot become a Muslim as He ﷺ is a part of the Shahadah. “None has the right to be worshipped but Allah & Mohammed is the Messenger of Allah”.
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ deserves special rights, which are due only to the final Prophet and Messenger. These rights have been enjoined upon us by Allah and are part of safeguarding the perfect religion of Islam. Unfortunately, many Muslims today have become confused with regard to these rights and have innovated practices that have no basis in Islam. The Prophet himself knew that such practices would happen and warned against them, “Beware of newly invented matters [in religion, that is] for every invented matter [in religion] in a cursed innovation which leads astray.” (Tirmidhi and Abu Dawood) So as Muslims we must stick to giving our Prophet ﷺ his rights as commanded by Allah and stay away from the innovations that either ignore these rights or take them to extremes.
OUR DUTIES TOWARDS THE PROPHET OF ALLAH ﷺ
The seventh right that is due to the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ is saying the salah and salaam upon him. Allah says, “Allah sends His salah [blessings, mercy] on the Prophet and His angels too [ask Allah to bless and forgive him]. O you who believe, send your salah on him and [you should] greet him with the Islamic way of greeting [i.e. as-salamu alaikum].” [33:56]
Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said, “Whoever blesses me once, Allah blesses him with ten salahs and ten wrong actions fall away from him and he is raised by ten degrees.” And he said, “The nearest people to me on the Day of Rising will be those who have said the most salahs on me.”
How to recite prayer on the Prophet:
Narrated kaab bin Ujrah, the Prophet ﷺ said, “Say:
ALLAHUMMA SALLI ALA MUHAMMADIW WA ALA AALI MUHAMMADIN KAMAA SALLAITA ALA IBRAHIMA WA ALA AALIIBRAHIMA INNAKA HAMIDUM MAJID. ALLAHUMMA BAARIK ALA MUHAMMADIW WA ALA AALI MUHAMMADIN KAMAABAARAKTA ALA IBRAHIMA WA ALA AALI IBRAHIMA INNAKA HAMIDUM MAJID., ‘
O Allah! Send Your Mercy on Muhammad ﷺ and on the family of Muhammad ﷺ as You sent Your Mercy in Ibrahim (Abraham) and on the family of Ibrahim (Abraham), for You are the Most Praiseworthy, the Most Glorious.
O Allah! Send Your Blessings on Muhammad ﷺ and on the family of Muhammad ﷺ as You sent Your Blessings in Ibrahim (Abraham) and on the family of Ibrahim (Abraham), for You are the Most Praiseworthy, the Most Glorious’.”
STICKING TO HIS SUNNAH AND AVOIDING INNOVATIONS
While the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ deserves and is due the aforementioned rights, it is also important that we don’t go to extremes regarding his rights. Many Muslims today have innovated practices into the religion concerning his rights. It is indeed correct that the Prophet Muhammad ﷺ deserves certain rights, but to innovate practices that go against his very teachings under the guises of loving and respecting him is bid’ah and will only lead to the fire. The Prophet ﷺ said, “Beware of newly invented matters [in religion] for every invented matter [in religion] is a cursed innovation which leads astray.”
All the rights of the Prophet ﷺ are related to inward actions. But the Outward way of fulfilling his ﷺ ’s right is by patterning his Sunnah and sticking to it In Sha Allah. If we just see the number of proved Sunnah one would never get time to think about Bidahs as SubhaanAllah there are so many Sunnahs a day.
1. Wipe the effects of sleep from the face with your hands. When the Messenger of Allah (woke up, he would sit up and rub away the effects of sleep from his face with his hand.
2. Say the supplication for waking up:
الحَمْـدُ لِلّهِ الّذي أَحْـيانا بَعْـدَ ما أَماتَـنا وَإليه النُّـشور
ALHAMDU LILLAAHIL-LATHEE AHYANA BA’DA MAA AMAATANA WA-ILAYHIN-NUSHOOR.
All praise is for Allah who gave us life after death (sleep) and to Him is the resurrection.
3. Use a SIwaak. When the Prophet ﷺ woke up from the night (sleep), he used to clean his mouth with a Siwaak.
4. Snuff water. When one of you wakes up from sleep, then snuff water three times. For indeed, Shaytaan spends the night in the upper part of the nose.
5. Wash both hands three times When one of you wakes up from sleep, he must not dip his hand into a utensil until he washes it three times.
ENTERING AND LEAVING THE TOILET
1. Enter with the left foot and leave with the right.
2. Supplicate when entering the toilet
(بِسْمِ الله اللّهُـمَّ إِنِّـي أَعـوذُ بِـكَ مِـنَ الْخُـبْثِ وَالْخَبائِث)
(BISMILLAH) ALLAHUMMA INNEE A’OODHU BIKA MINAL-KHUBTI WAL-KHABA-ITH
‘(In the name of Allah). O Allah, I take refuge with you from all male and female devils.’
3. Do not face the Qiblah while urinating or defecating.
4. Do not touch the Private parts with the right hand.
5. Do not use the right hand to clean oneselves.
6. It is disliked to stand and pass urine.
7. Do not expose the uncover the Awrah until after he has squatted close to the ground.
8. Be very careful and clean all the impurity as it is punishable if left off. “Most of the punishment of the grave will be because of urine.”
9. Wash the impurity three times or any odd number of times.
10. Use Water, tissue, stones and the like to clean.
11. After leaving the toilet
‘I ask You (Allah) for forgiveness.’
There are several times in which a Muslim may use Sewak at day and night:
The Prophet ﷺ said: (Were it not for avoiding inflicting difficulties on my nation, I would have ordered them to use Sewak upon the performance of each prayer) Narrated by Al-Bukhari & Muslim.
The total times of using Sewak by the Muslim at the day and night is not less than (20) times. The Muslim uses Sewak:
– Upon performing the five prayers, the regular Sunnah prayers, Al-Doha (Morning) prayer, Al-Wetr Prayer.
– Upon entering the house, because the first thing performed by the Prophet ﷺ when he enters his house is using the Sewak, as narrated by Aisha – May Allah be pleased with her – in Sahih Muslim. So, every time you enter your house use Sewka in order to apply the Sunnah.
– Upon reading the Holy Quran, for changing the smell of the mouth.
– Upon waking up.
– Upon making ablution (Wudhou’).
1. Put shoes on starting with the right foot and take them off starting with the left
This Sunnah is repeated at day and night so many times; the Muslim wears and takes off his shoes to go to the toilet, go out and come back from the Masjid, work, home etc, therefore, when you wear or take off the shoes according to the Sunnah with the intention of following the example of the Prophet ﷺ you will gain a lot of good deeds.
DRESSING AND UNDRESSING
Wearing and taking off clothes happen several times at day and night for the purpose of bathing, sleeping etc.
1. Say Bismi Allāh i.e. In the name of Allah, when you wear or take off your clothes.
2. The Prophet ﷺ said when he wears his clothes, shirt, dress or turban:
الحمدُ للهِ الّذي كَساني هذا (الثّوب) وَرَزَقَنيه مِنْ غَـيـْرِ حَولٍ مِنّي وَلا قـوّة
ALHAMDU LILLAAHIL-LATHEE KASANEE HATHA (ATHTHAWB) WARAZAQNEEHI MIN GHAYRI HAWLIN MINNE WALA QUWWAH.
‘All Praise is for Allah who has clothed me with this garment and provided it for me, with no power nor might from myself.’
3. Start by the right side upon wearing clothes.
4. Upon taking off the clothes, start with the left side then the right.
ENTERING AND LEAVING THE HOUSE
1. Mentioning regards to Allah: the Prophet ﷺ said: “ When a man mention Allah while entering his house and when he eat, the devil say to his mates (there is no food or shelter for this night for you)“(Muslim)
بِسْمِ اللهِ وَلَجْنَا، وَ بِسْمِ اللهِ خَرَجْنَا، وَعَلَى رَبِّنَا تَوَكَّلْنَا.
BISMILLAAHI WALAJNAA WA BISMILLAAHI KHRAJNAA WA ‘ALAA RABBANA TAWAKKALNAA
(O Allah I ask you the best out of entrance and the bestout of exit, I enter in the name of Allah and exit in the name of Allah, I put my trust in Allah)
This is the way a man depends on Allah while entering or exiting, which keeps him always connected to Allah.
3-Using Sewak Muslim narrated that the Prophet ﷺ used Sewak while taking his first steps into home.
4-Say As Salam Alaikum. Supposing that a Muslim who goes for prayers in the Mosque practice these Sunnas; that would make 20 Sunnas a day.
A Muslim should say this du’aa :
بِسْمِ اللهِ ، تَوَكَّلْـتُ عَلى اللهِ وَلا حَوْلَ وَلا قُـوَّةَ إِلاّ بِالله
BISMILLAAHI TAWAKKALTU ‘AALAL-LAH, WALA HAWLA WALA QUWWATA ILLA BILLAH.
‘In the name of Allah, I place my trust in Allah, and there is no might nor power except with Allah.’
A Muslim goes out and returns home many times a day; for prayers, work or for whatever and every time he applies these sunnas, he gets great reward from Allah as he submits to His Prophet’s ﷺ teachings.
The outcome of the application of these sunnas:
1. A Muslim gets protected from whatever evil he gets in touch with.
2. A Muslim gets secured from whatever evil that might hurt him.
3. A Muslim gets guided and guarded in everything either divine or secular.
Observe the following Sunan for eating:
1. Wash the hands
2. Say BISMILLAH.
3. Eat with the right hand.
4. Eat from what is in front of you i.e., near to you.
5. If some food drops, clean it and then eat it.
6. Eat with three fingers.
7. Not reclining whilst eating.
8. The etiquette of eating also includes: eating with a group; not speaking about haraam things whilst eating; eating with one’s wives and children; not keeping a particular food to oneself unless there is a reason for that, such as it being for medicinal purposes – rather one should offer the best food to others first, such as pieces of meat and soft or good bread.
The etiquette of sitting when eating:
a) Kneel on one’s shins and front of the feet, or
b) Keep the right leg upright and sit on the left.
SUNAN AFTER EATING
1. Lick the bowl and the fingers:
The Prophet ﷺ ordered the licking of the fingers and bowl, and he said:”Verily, you do not know in which of it ie. which morsel of food) is the blessing.”
2. Say the Dua:
الْحَمْـدُ للهِ الَّذي أَطْعَمَنـي هـذا وَرَزَقَنـيهِ مِنْ غَـيْرِ حَوْلٍ مِنِّي وَلا قُوَّة .
ALHAMDULILLAHIL-LATHEE AT’AAMANEE HATHA WARAZQANEEHI MIN GHAYRI HAWLIN MINNEE WALA QUWWAH.
‘All praise is for Allah who fed me this and provided it for me without any might nor power from myself.’
From the benefits of this Dua‘a, is that: The person’s past sins will be forgiven
3. Washing the hands after eating. The Sunnah may be done by washing with water only. Ibn Raslaan said: But it is better to wash the hands with potash or soap or something similar.
4. Rinsing the mouth after eating.
General Etiquettes: –
1. Not criticizing the food.
2. Moderation in eating.
3. Avoiding eating & drinking from gold or silver vessels.
1. Say Bismillah.
2. Drink with the right hand;
3. When drinking, breathe outside of the vessel. And do not drink all at once, but rather, take three breaths.
4. Sit while drinking:
5. Say Alhamdulilah after drinking.
6.Do not put your mouth directly to the bottle if one is not going to finish the whole bottle.
From the Sunan of going to sleep, is:
1. Say the supplication for going to sleep
بِاسْـمِكَ اللّهُـمَّ أَمـوتُ وَأَحْـيا
BISMIKALLAAUMMAA AMOOTU WA-AHYA.
‘In Your name O Allah, I live and die.’
“ALLAHUMMA BISMIKA AMUTU WA AHYA
Both of these are found in different authentic narrations, so a Muslim is expected to read one Dua for some days and the other for the next few days so that the Sunnah is not lost In Sha Allah.
2. Recite the Mu‘awwidhaat (Surahs Ikhlaas, Falaq & Naas) and wipe the body:
‘When retiring to his bed every night, the Prophet ﷺ would hold his palms together, spit (A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle) in them, recite the last three chapters (Al-Ikhlas, Al-Falaq, An-Nas) of the Quran and then wipe over his entire body as much as possible with his hands, beginning with his head and face and then all parts of the body, he would do this three times.’
3. Recite the Last two Ayahs of Baqarah
4. Recite the Ayat Al Kursi
There are many other supplications and Adhkaar that can be said at the time of going to sleep like reciting Surah Mulk etc, which again can be taken from the book “Hisnul Muslim (Fortress of the Muslim)”
Etiquettes of going to sleep:
1. Be in a state of purity (Wudoo).
2. Sleep on our right side.
3. Place the right hand under the right cheek.
4. Dust the bed:
5. Do not sleep on the tummy.
UPON SEEING A GOOD OR A BAD DREAM
‘The righteous dream is from Allah and the bad dream is from the devil, so if anyone sees something which pleases him then he should only relate it to one whom he loves…’
Summary of what to do upon having a bad dream:
■ Spit on your left three times
Spit: A form of spitting comprising mainly of air with little spittle
■ Seek refuge in Allah from shaytan and the evil of what you saw. (Aoozbillaahi Minash shaytaanir rajeem)
■ Do not relate it to anyone
■ Turn and sleep on the opposite side to which you were sleeping on previously.
■ Get up and pray if you so desire.
TIPS FOR TESTS: